Sunday, March 9, 2014

African Batiking and American Quilting

Beautiful fabric has always been a weakness of mine. A whole new world has opened up as I have discovered the fabulous African batiks found in specialty shops and outdoor markets. We haven't had the opportunity to see the actual batiking process yet, but hope (Sister Stoker speaking) to do so while we are in Ghana. 

The art of batiking originated long before it came to Africa. Designs and techniques vary around the world. Patterns are stamped or painted freehand with melted wax on 100% cotton fabric. After the wax has dried, the fabric is dipped in a bath of dye. Then it is laid out to dry. Depending on how many colors are used, this process is repeated until the desired result is reached. The cloth is dipped in boiling water to remove the wax, rinsed in clear water, laid out to dry, then pressed in preparation to sell. 
   
  
I've begun my own small collection of batik fabrics. This could
be a little dangerous with still ten months to be looking around. 
One of the other sister missionaries loves these fabrics as much
as I do. She has already sent this much again back to the U.S.!

The executive secretary's wife chose to gather scraps instead of yards of batik fabric. When we arrived in
Accra eight months ago, this quilt was still in tiny pieces. The name of the pattern is appropriately titled the
"Oh My Gosh" quilt. Your appreciation multiplies considerably when you see the quilt in person. Each of those
little squares measures about one inch. I think I'll make a wall hanging instead!